Wednesday 6 April 2016

More on medications

A warm hello to all!
As always, I hope fellow psoriasisers are keeping strong =)

Today's post will be about the medications (i.e., topical & oral) that I have mentioned in my earlier posts. 

I'll start by dovobet gel and emo-cort lotion. Firstly, one gram of dovobet gel contains 50 micrograms of calcipotriol and 0.5 mg of betamethasone. It is extremely important to know that dovobet gel cannot be used on the face, sensitive areas, groin, and skin folds. Personally, what I have noticed with using dovobet is that even when I have used the gel regularly for 1 week straight, if I missed just 1 day my plaques would go back to how it was prior to using the dovobet gel. This may be an individual thing. Every medicine, as it is known, reacts differently for everyone. 

Secondly, the emo-cort lotion is used on areas that we can't apply the dovobet gel on. The smell might be a tad bit annoying and I have also felt a slight burning sensation on areas that I have itched just right before applying the lotion. However, this burning sensation goes away after some time; especially applying cold air or just standing in front of the fan really helps. The common name of emo-cort is hydrocortisone. I have used the 2.5% version of emo-cort hydrocortisone lotion. 

The clobex spray is powerful than the dovobet gel and should be treated just like the dovobet gel, which means not to be used on sensitive areas, face, or skin folds. The spray contains 0.05% of clobetasol propionate solution. The instruction sheet clearly states that the most common sensation is burning and it burns really bad. The up side is that the burning sensation only lingers on for about 30 seconds or less than a minute to be exact. Personally, I noticed that after 5 uses the burning sensation disappeared; however, my pharmacist told me it would take 3-4 uses...So, I guess it is & will be different for everyone.

As for the homeopathic medicines please use it to your discretion and under the supervision of a licensed or registered homeopathy doctor. For homeopathic medications it is extremely important to understand that healing times as well as reactions vary from one individual to another. With homeopathy recovery takes very long. Homeopathic medicines go to the very root of the problem and also address all other problems inside our body, for this reason, it can aggravate the psoriasis, which has happened to me. For severe psoriasis it is best to start systemic treatment as soon as possible. If it is mild then looking at homeopathy may prove beneficial. I have stopped using my homeopathic medications specifically for psoriasis for a month now; however, I have completed my homeopathic medicines for controlling body heat as well as itching. 

Now moving forward to the methotrexate/mtx: 
Dose/amount: 15 mg once a week (6 pills to be taken all together and each pill contains 2.5 mg). It is a ratio-methotrexate that is prescribed for me, i.e., I have 4 weeks worth of dosage only.

I take 6 mtx pills every week after lunch. It is important to note that mtx needs to be taken with food and with plenty of fluids. Emphasis on the plenty of fluids, it is extremely important that you do. The other 6 days except the day I take my mtx, I have to take folic acid. The folic acid is prescribed with the mtx. I have been prescribed 5 mg of folic acid for all other days except the day of mtx.

Aside from these prescribed medications, I am also taking vitamin D pill - nothing fancy just an over-the-counter one. It's the Jameison Vitamin D with 1,000 IU but the chewable kind 😛

So, readers that is all for the medications!
One last information that I'd like to share, which was shared by my dermatologist - with taking methotrexate our psoriasis will appear & re-appear, and this is absolutely normal. You need at least 6 doses of mtx to notice any changes at all. You are also under lab monitoring/blood work initially it is weekly and after some time it is monthly, for doctors/dermatologists to see how well your body is handling mtx. 

Fellow psoriasisers, we have battled the worst of storms & the darkest of nights, but as always there is hope that the next storm will be much lighter than the first and soon it will all disappear. 

I am certain that I will fully recover, my skin will be healed, and I will never have to deal with psoriasis again in my life...hopefully. It will take time, but it will happen!

I am moving forward and staying strong, and fellow readers/psoriasisers so should you! 😍


Lots of love and much respect,


No comments:

Post a Comment